July 11, 2009

Cheesy Grits

My grandmother was born and raised in Mississippi. She taught me how to cook and naturally the southern influences were thick. If I had to describe her cooking style, it would be healthy soul food. Maybe country cooking lite. She's a big believer in hot cereal for breakfast. It's something I unconsciously adopted now that I have my own child. Oatmeal, Malt-O-Meal or my personal favorite grits. My husband had never had grits before we got married and I have since brought him over to the dark side with me. Our favorite way to eat them is thick, but not stiff, and cheesy. My grandmother, for the record, would not approve of the cheese or the cream.

I am very particular about the consistency of my hot cereal. It can't be too runny or too thick and if there are lumps I simply won't eat them. There's a simple method to cooking grits and avoiding lumps and it works for all hot cereals. You must start with a whisk and not a spoon. I prefer a savory breakfast to a sweet one, so this really hits all the right spots. You can always adjust it to fit your tastes. We've even eaten it on "breakfast for dinner" nights. It's cheap and hearty. Now on the ingredients, I really prefer a very sharp cheddar for this dish. The sharpness really goes well with the natural, mellow taste of the grits. New York State Extra Sharp Cheddar is my go to, but I've also used a sharp cheddar from Trader Joe's ( I think it was a New Zealand Cheddar) that is excellent and very tangy.

Basic Sunday Morning Cheese Grits:

  • 3/4 cups grits (makes 4 servings)
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons-1/2 cup milk or cream
  • 1 tablespoons butter
  • approx. 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
Start by bringing the water to a rolling boil and add garlic powder and salt. Slowly pour in grits while whisking continuously. Let grits come to a boil (still whisking continuously) and then lower to simmer and cover. Let them simmer for 15- 20 minutes, making sure to whisk every few minutes to avoid sticking or burning. At this point you can add your cheese and butter. Once it has melted, add the cream or milk until it reaches the desired consistency. Now taste it at this point and add pepper and more salt if you like or more cream if it is too salty or thick. The cheese adds a good bit of salt, so I try not to add much more. Remember it will thicken as it sits so I usually leave it runnier than I like. Take it off the heat and let sit for five minutes before serving. You will want to eat it right away but please trust me and wait five minutes.

It's pretty tasty served up with some fresh chopped green onions, chives or lightly sauteed mushrooms on top. You can adjust the amount of cheese to satisfy your cheesiness quotient. Also play around with the types of cheese. Parmesan gives it a really different taste and texture. Eat up y'all.

No comments: